Friday 4 December 2009

The reflection in the mirror

I look into my bathroom mirror these days and I see something reflected back that isn't always myself. I'm not schizophrenic or anything along those lines, sure I have some issues but nothing that major.

But sadly for me it is a fact that my reflection is a far better semblance of myself than I could ever be. The mirror, or any reflective surface for that matter, portrays me in a different light. I thought I was imagining it but then my friends noticed it too. I have been told that I look far more dashing in mirrors and train windows. The soft focus perhaps?

I am not a 'looker' by any means, but neither am I a monster from whom the village people flee or attack with torches and pitchforks. But I sit here examining my reflection in my monitor and I see a glimmer in my eyes and a flicker in my smile but neither are there in my daily life.

Perhaps there is something laying dormant within, perhaps it is in fact the confidence I so desperately seek. Has it simply been suppressed all these years?

I look into the screen.

My reflection has a nicer smile than I do.

I was told recently never to smile at people because I look bad when I do.

I envy the reflection in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment