Saturday 26 September 2009

The London Tattoo Convention 2009



Sadly, due to being forced to work (or else I don't get paid) I was only able to get down to this years London Tattoo Convention for one day, not the whole weekend, but even if it was just for a day, twas one seriously good day.  

You might be wondering if I got myself that tattoo?  
Well the answer is no.
The design I wanted was far too expensive and for the small tattoo I was able to afford, I was just too indecisive.  I was thinking a robot.  
Yes?  No?  

Tom wanted me to get a cock tattooed on my chest.  
I said no.  I feel this was understandable.  

The show itself was astounding with tattoo artists from all over the world congregated to bring us the latest and greatest in body modification.  There was even a group from New Zealand doing traditional tattoos...I can't even begin to tell you how much respect I have for this man, I would NEVER even try this.  




There were some amazing international artists there including my personal favourite, Genko who during my 8 hours of wandering around spent most of that time detailing an intricate design onto somebody's leg.  You can check out Genko and some of his work here [http://www.genko-tattoo.com/].  

This guy's getting some Haida art here, a man after my own heart.  


On top of all the cool booths and numerous tattoos, the shows were always interesting to say the least.  The first show we witnessed was a pierced gentleman lifting various weights with his rings.  It looked ruddy painful to me, but each to their own.  



Better than him though was the semi-naked burlesque dancer who after dipping herself in a bathtub filled with broken glass (and I checked, it really was glass), then rubbed flaming batons over herself before eating the flames.  It was impressive and disturbing at the same time.  I mean, I can see the skill and am impressed by fire eating....but jumping up and down in a bathtub of broken glass?  




But for me personally, the best was at the end of my evening when Vince Ray and the Boneshakers took to the stage and gave it their all in a performance that actually impelled me to buy the CD which doesn't often happen.  




All in all, it was an entertaining, interesting and memorable day.  I am very disappointed with myself for not getting a tattoo done but I know a lot of what I want now and I can save for them and I know who to go to see.  
Next time I'm in Japan, Genko's getting a call.

For more pics, check my FB
x














No comments:

Post a Comment