Wednesday 19 January 2011

The Kings Speech

Allow me to start by unabashedly admitting that I am not a fan of period dramas, nor have I ever been. As intrigued by history as I am when the mood strikes me, it's a genre that simply doesn't appeal to me. I didn't even like Atonement *shock horror!*

More than that, I have always previously maintained a guarded dislike for poor Colin Firth, who has in recent months proven himself as a wonderful and talented actor whom I have clearly been neglecting for all these years. I believe the issue for me was that I associated him with the likes of Mr Darcy and a sense of 'Englishness' which I've always detested. I dislike Hugh Grant too, but I shall never be dissuaded from this dislike. Shamefully I first discovered that he was not the embodiment of this straight-up, foppish Brit thanks to his role in Mama Mia. Don't you judge me, I was made to go see it.

But he surpassed all expectations I ever had when he appeared in Tom Ford's beautiful A Single Man, a film in which he is more stylish than I could ever hope to be and I firmly believed until today that he would be unable to surpass this role.

But his performance in The Kings Speech is such that I am torn. Going into the screen I was aware that there was a solid chance I wouldn't enjoy the film, simply because it's not my usual cup of tea, but within a few minutes I was completely encapsulated. My eyes remained glued to the screen throughout the film, I was transfixed, but it wasn't just because it was a well cast, fantastically acted film; it is because the script was incredibly entertaining as well. The performances from both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush complimented this.

I'm also incredibly pleased to see Geoffrey Rush in something other than Pirates of the Caribbean. I know he's done other films before and since, including an especially interesting role in The Warriors Way, but for me, every time I see him, I see Captain Barbossa and I am glad that now, each time I see his in his pirate garb, I'll be thinking of him encouraging Colin Firth to shout the F word at the top of his lungs.

Overall the film was a massive hit, and working in the cinema I can safely assure you that it's our biggest selling film right now, and quite rightly too. Firth and Rush have secured themselves a place in history for this film, and I don't mean to neglect the rest of the talented cast - Bonham-Carter was wonderful, as was Timothy Spall - but it's the Firth-Rush relationship that makes the film so compelling.

You don't want to see this film, you need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment