Wednesday 20 October 2010

Aquaman innit

Aquaman is friends to all the creatures of the sea. Right? Or was it just fish? I’ve never really read it to be honest and I think the only things I actually know about it are based on the film that was made in Entourage…anyway, I spent some of my day yesterday hanging out on some rocks with some New Zealand Fur Seals. They didn’t seem to mind much.

I was driving along the coast when my parents spotted a load of seals on the rocks so we pulled in at the next available area, to find that it was about a mile down from where we’d seen them. This doesn’t stop me. I walked all along the stones until I reached a stream about 6ft wide and deep enough to go just over my knees. After careful consideration of the fact that I am a fat bastard and in no way an athlete, it was decided that I could not jump it. Just as I was about to turn around and leave, a large female hauled herself out of the water and headed up the beach. Well I didn’t have my camera with me, but I was determined to see her close-up. So I rolled my jeans as far as they would go, left my nice new shoes and socks on the gravel and waded across. It was fantastic, absolutely amazing to be so close. I stumbled back across the beach all pleased with myself, not noticing that somewhere along the way I had cracked my big toe on a rock as well as cutting it under the nail, causing myself untold pain.

I would actually be fine with this, were it not for the fact that I drove us another 2km down the road to spot another load of seals all chilling on the rocks right by an actual pull-in. So we stopped and I spent an afternoon hopping about rocks with a bunch of seals who didn’t seem to mind. One of them actually seemed to like me, and spent quite a lot of time posing for the camera.

So yeah...I'm like Aquaman, friends to the creatures of the sea! Now if only I could fix my toe…

No comments:

Post a Comment